Monday, December 8, 2008

Lauren's early Christmas gift

Lauren auditioned for the first time for Mid-State Orchestra yesterday morning. She was one of 55 french hornists to audition. The morning consisted of running around, waiting in line after line after line, a lot of confusion, a very, very noisy warm-up area and then more waiting.


She had to wait about 20 minutes for her turn after warming up. During that time, she was blowing into her horn to keep it warm, but a side effect of that is that more and more moisture builds up in the tubes. Right before her turn, she told me that there was too much built up in there that she couldn't get out. When she blew into it, you could hear the gurgling sound and the notes sounded off. Anyway, long story short, she went in to audition, was asked to play a few scales, and then was eliminated before auditioning the prepared music. We both felt so bad, it was just kind of one of those things where things just didn't work out. But! the good thing about it is that we know what to expect when she auditions next year. We'll be more prepared!

She was in quite a foul mood after that experience. I was hoping I could just keep her from wallowing into the deepest of despair until we could get home, because I knew there was quite a surprise waiting for her. I'd been watching the pianos for sale on craigslist.org for the last week or two. On Friday, I found one that was in our price range and not too far away. Grant and I went to look at it Friday evening and Grant and some friends picked it up Saturday morning. When Lauren and I got home, there it was!
We couldn't figure out a way to hide it until Christmas, plus we figured she'd enjoy playing it while she had extra time off for the holidays. Grant got a big ole' hug for this gift!

1 comment:

C. Stover said...

Awwwww...what a great gift. Yeah, hiding a piano would be a little difficult, and what perfect timing! Don't give up Lauren, you did great at the school performance! =)